Alastair's Blog

Australia & New Zealand trip Dec 2019/Jan 2020

- Thursday, February 13, 2020

We set off to Brisbane and 47 C for a few days in mid-December, and then drove down to Sydney to the fires 🔥 and smoke for Christmas with my two daughters and five grandchildren for the first time. While we were there we rented a house 🏠 in Manly for us all.

We made it to Sydney via Brisbane in our lovely truck and moved into our very nice house with the Stebbings family. It was great to see old friends Jeff and Glenda, (truck owners) and we had lunch with Margaret Ealand on the way South. We met up with Mary and Johnathon Lee, an old rallying mate as well. There was an awful lot of burnt bush and fried roads and signs. Eventually we got to cool, overcast, smoky Manly. Had a big family lunch in the Nelmes restaurant, the Cooks Garden in Turramurra, which was lovely, plus swimming in the ocean pool, great stuff!

We arrived in NZ on the Saturday and were picked up by my nephew Colin and found the shed and cars all in good order. The next day we all celebrated Mother's 102nd birthday at her nursing home. She was looking well, recognised me and was alert and chatty, but very confused. We all went out to lunch afterwards and then spent the night in Hamilton with Pete and Annie. The next day we saw James Caldwell and family who went to see Nana as they call her, they were on their way to Auckland for Jenny, Finn and Jessica to do a showbiz trip to the USA. Saw Mother again, who was still alert and then went back to Devonport. We were setting off on a trip round NZ the next day, passing through Christchurch, where I gave a talk to a paying audience for charity on my F1 career.

When we went to see Mother in Hamilton we stayed at the Huka Lodge one night. It's a beautiful place on the river at Taupo, lovely set dinner with Peter and Annie in the Lodge. Walked to see the magnificent falls as well. We stayed in Havelock North at Porters hotel and ate at Pipi’s Cafe. Lovely part of the world, it was where I lived before going to the UK in 1967 to join McLaren Racing.  

We had a busy few days after that, going to Wellington from Taupo, staying the night, and seeing old friends Peter and Lesley Maxwell. We caught the ferry to Picton, it was super windy but that's par for the course in The Cook Strait.

The racing career talk went very well and raised more than $10,000. It was a relief that anyone came, as it was 100 degrees!

After that we drove south from Christchurch via the famous Fairlie pie shop, heading to Mt Cook and found a plane sightseeing trip. As the weather was perfect, it was a fantastic flight, we we saw Mt Cook close up, with the famous glaciers and the west coast!!!

Our pilot recommended a lovely lodge for us, it had a great situation looking up lake Pukaki to the Alps and Mount Cook, beautiful place and view. Another lovely location where we stopped was at this lavender farm, lavender ice cream and lots of lavender products, once again a lovely place.

We went up to Mount Cook village and walked up to see the Tasman glacier. It was a bit disappointing as it was black and unimpressive but the walk up and down was good. Our next stop was Wanaka, once again a lovely place. Weather, people, scenery all great. 

Me, in full flow!

Pipi's cafe at Havelock North

On the ferry

The flyer for the talk I gave.

Lavendar farm, with lots of lovely lavendar products - got the chance to ride this tractor!

We also enjoyed lavendar ice cream!

It was a beautiful day for a sightseeing flight.

Lake Pukaki and Mount Cook.

A perfect place for some refreshments

The lovely lodge recommended by our pilot.

The it got busy, we went to Queenstown and did lots of tourist things, we went up in a parachute towed by a boat on the lake, we went across the lake in the lovely old steam ship the Earnslaw for dinner on a farm and back. And we flew to Milford Sound by fixed wing, then on to a boat cruise up the Sound and back. Following that there was a helicopter flight to Glenorchy with a stop on a mountain top on the way, a jet boat trip up the Dart river and back to Queenstown for a famous Ferg burger. Went to see my friend Anthony race his Porsche at Cromwell, he did well, two 3D places. After that we headed north through Arrowtown, through the Haas pass and up the beautiful West Coast, and walked to see the Frank Joseph Glacier.

More lavender

Trying to film lots of dolphins patrolling the cove

More pics from our adventures.

An awful lot of eels here!

We did so many marvellous things and saw old friends, but the overriding thing is that NZ is just great We went from one end to the other and it and the people are lovely.

After a lovely few weeks we were finally at the airport about to board for Singapore then on to London in the cold, but not for long. For the next trip I'll be off to Delhi next Saturday for a month long rally. 

Picture of me preparing for the flight with a Coronavirus "injection"!

Rally Round Africa - October 2018 | Classic Rallies

- Tuesday, December 18, 2018

In October, I took part in the Rally Round Africa classic rally, a 25-day, 6,700 kilometer trip that took us from Dar es Salaam to Cape Town, going through Tanzania, Malawi, Zambia, Botswana, Swaziland and South Africa. This time I took my trusty "yellow peril," the Mercedes SL. During the trip we travelled through lush forests,  awesome deserts, fertile vineyards, vibrant cities, legendary coastlines and fabulous game reserves – the four-week itinerary included six safari drives, and we were lucky enough to see Africa’s ‘big five’ game animals (lion, elephant, buffalo, leopard and rhinoceros) and much more besides.


The Yellow Peril has arrived in Tanzania for the Rally Round Africa rally. Sadly one Mercedes had a big prang, driving in Africa is a bit haphazard. Just done the first day, done about 200k so far. 

Local Masai who danced for us very informally, they were having fun for themselves. 

Look, no hands! Going home with the makings for lunch.

Game park

In the rally now, all going well. Went to a game park and saw lots of animals, too many to list. Back of a bus with local heroes emblazoned. Note the machine pistols rampant.

Oops, local traffic failure!

The plane that flew us to the game reserve.

A pride of lions

Extra overflow seating on the bus!

A roadside basket stall in Tanzania & local produce on the roadside for sale. It's all lovely stuff but no room in the car. Seems heartbreakingly little trade for lots of stuff, but like all Africa the people are lovely and universally cheerful.

A fantastic Babao tree, this one is in leaf but we saw forests of them not; they can stay dormant for many years and then come back into leaf.

A zebra crossing......!


The rally is going well for us. Seen many animals, too many to list. Went through Malawi which is a very poor country, hardly any traffic and none of the roadside hustle and bustle seen on the rest of the trip. In Zambia now for 3 days and it is a happy and prosperous place. Staying in the magnificent Royal Livingstone hotel on the banks of the Zambezi river. Hippos in the river and giraffes, zebra and antelopes wandering the lawns. Off to Botswana this morning.

Roadside charcoal selling, this is huge with thousands of them all along the highways. It's used for domestic cooking and is a huge business.

Fangio style Chevrolet Coupe on the rally, there are 4 of them.

SL sitting in the sun waiting for the roadworks, the car is going very well so far...

Happy tank repair worker.

Sabi Sabi Sands lodge

Have stayed 2 nights in beautiful earth lodge in Sabi Sabi on the edge of Kruger Park where we are going today. We only did one game drive and we saw the Big 5 as they are known in one evening. Cape buffalo, elephant, lion, rhinoceros & leopard, plus hyena, kudu, waterbuck etc. The Lodge was great with lovely rooms and we had waterbuck and kudu grazing on our bushes in front of the room and elephants tearing down trees outside reception for food. Food and staff were lovely. 

Game drive videos

Leopard on a tree. We wondered, did she climb the tree because the hyena were circling?

Lion calling for his brother. Our guide had only heard a lion call like that 4 or 5 times since he's been out here.

Leopard on the move. We might have annoyed her with the lights, anyway, here she is showing us the universal sign of contempt before settling down again.

Waterbuck by the pool. A female waterbuck, eating the thorn bush right by our swimming pool, oblivious to me filming her. 

Stay at forest lodge

Another day off at a great lodge, only one game drive but we were rewarded by a cheetah encounter with two brothers. They were beautiful to see and we followed them on their evening stroll where they marked their territory and looked for potential trouble before retiring for the night. 

Driving up the Swartberg Pass

Drove up this pass, great views from the top and good driving.

The Oyster Box Hotel

A charming old world hotel right on the Indian Ocean, complete with its own lighthouse and in-house singer - also interesting fans above the bar.

Giraffe crossing. We've had a zebra crossing, now we've got a giraffe crossing. It was intrigued by the Mercedes!

The end of the rally

Didn't do the rally on the last day. The regularities are just too boring, so we drove the beautiful main road through the wine country to the lovely hotel. Finish is in Cape Town. Great trip and some good memories.


Driving to our hotel to get some time by the pool, through thousands of acres of vineyards. This valley is a very handsome part of the world, bit windy though. 


Finished the rally, the little yellow hairdresser's car ran very well, well done Joe! We saw lots of game, stayed in some lovely places and drove some great roads. Did not do the competitive bits towards the end as were too boring but still made 3rd place in class. Car already with the shippers and we off back soon. Driving round the Cape, back towards Capetown. Beautiful beaches with lovely white sand and the mountains drop down to the sea.

Rally overview

Here's a compilation video done by our friends at Rally Round of the whole Africa rally, with background music.

Cuba Classic Jan 2018

- Wednesday, April 11, 2018
In the middle of January I left Mother and New Zealand to head off for Cuba for the Cuba Classic Rally. This was just a short couple of weeks rally driving round Cuba, followed by a few days in Santiago, Chile, on the way back. 

For this trip of 18 days and 3,246 kilometers I took my trusty Porsche 912 (which is actually a 4-cylinder 911), which has seen me through a great deal of difficult terrain in the past.

The Rally explored virtually the entire island, which is about the size of the UK, from the hustle and bustle of Havana to the quiet countryside where the main form of transport is a horse and cart. We drove through the small towns preserved in aspic from the pre-revolution times including the point where Christopher Columbus landed in 1492, claiming the island for his Spanish masters. No visit to Cuba is complete without a trip to a cigar plantation and factory and we discovered the truth about cigars being rolled on the thighs of virgins! And of course we tried the seven year old rum to drink with the cigars. We drove La Farola, the best mountain pass in Cuba, we went round the Bay of Pigs, passed by Guantanamo, visited the memorial to Che Guevara in Santa Clara, drove the fantastic causeways up to 48kms in length that join romantic islands to the mainland, and tried the food in a local Paladar (small family-run restaurant, often in people's own homes). This is the full itinerary.

The Porsche in its little shipping crate ready to go to Cuba.

We had a bit of a struggle with the customs people when we arrived in Cuba and had to fill in endless amounts of paperwork. But finally we got the cars and spent the rest of the day getting them ready. Hopefully we can start tomorrow.

Few repairs needed for one of the cars.

Now all the cars were ready to go!

Three days in, everything was going well, apart from the Porsche not charging. But we were getting by, we were very used to this as the Tatra was the same all across the USA.

Cuba hadn't changed at all from my list visit several years ago. The people are subdued but very nice and the weather was mixed but generally quite warm.

There are big billboards everywhere extolling the revolution - it seems a bit ironic but they obviously still believe? 

Two oxen towing a sledge, it's almost medieval and a common sight! Does it have wheels?

We did need a little bit of rescuing - here's the Porsche being rescued by a Russian built Lada 

Cuban beehives

Porsche at the beach in the shade while its occupants are getting lots of sun!

Entertainment by a local band

The cooling bucket

We had a variation of the usual cooling bucket for the Porsche. This one is a locally made potty, made out of recycled plastic. This was very appropriate as several rally people, including me, have had Fidel's revenge! 

And here are a few more shots from Cuba

Some cadets

A roadside stall

End of the rally

Then the rally was over and the cars were put back in their shipping containers. We were off to Santiago, Chile tomorrow for 3 nights then back to NZ. We had a good time on the rally, saw some interesting sights and met Cubans. Strange politics, they are still trying to be communist but with increasing capitalism all around them. Trolley used to move freight in the mountains. Drove by Guantanamo. Permanent effigies of Castro & Che


Che Guevara

Man pushing a trolley

One of the old cars you see here

Ready to leave Cuba

On the naughty step

On the naughty step at the police station for not stopping at a control point.... 

And then we were off to Santiago

We got stuck on the coast behind a broken down bus, looked like we were never going to get through.

But eventually, they managed to fix it and move it out of the way, so we were able to drive along the water's edge, rather rough terrain!

Flamingoes in Santiago

Mother's 100th Birthday Celebrations and New Zealand Trip

- Monday, February 26, 2018

In January 2018, Mother celebrated her 100th birthday and the whole family travelled over to New Zealand to join her and organise all the festivities. 


On the way, I stopped off at Singapore for a few days. Here we are, eating at the cheapest Michelin restaurant in the world, delicious!

Been in Singapore for three days staying at the amazing Marina BaySands hotel. Three huge separate towers 57 stories high joined at the top by one boat-shaped platform with bars, restaurants and a huge infinity pool overlooking the city and ocean.

And this was a huge bowl which forms a whirlpool that drains through an enormous offset hole.

A water show in the harbour by the hotel.


We arrived in Devonport, the new flat was very good, well done Colin and Daniella! Weather great, got the Escort going and WOF (warrant of fitness). Seeing Mother on Saturday and maybe eventually getting the new to me old Merc to try to sort out for the beach. Have NZ mobile same as last year. Those old enough might remember that 303 was the calibre of the British Army rifle in the 2nd world war. Saw lots of them in the film Dunkirk on the plane. First Sunset.

A Monarch butterfly caterpillar eating a swan plant, they will only eat this one plant

We stopped for lunch on the way to Waiotahi Villa, Mother looking very smart

With a friend on the beach!

More beach photos.

We were out in New Zealand for Christmas, and here are all six of us in a hula hoop, Christmas is in by three minutes and we've got champagne!

Mercedes about to have first trip out with Mother

Unfortunately, the Mercedes need a little roadside attention again! 

Mother going on a beach trip to see the Leopard Seal.

New year at the beach, with a bonfire. Family meal and getting ready for our bike ride.

The 100th Birthday!

Elizabeth and Isabel Nelmes With Mother and me. 

The Rolls Royce birthday cake.

The Australian and NZ great grandkids.

Mother with old friend David Jull and Cherine Caldwell. 

Mother and Rupert Russell, her beloved brother James' son.

The birthday presentation

It was emotional and joyous to watch the presentation video, highlighting photos of Mum and the family through the ages - here it is:

Dorothy's 100 Year Birthday Slideshow from Any Audio Visual Limited on Vimeo.

Mother with her card from the Queen. 

Fiji Trip

Pukekohe at Hamilton Lake, took Mother there for lunch. Auckland sunset from Mount Victoria Devonport. Little plane that brought us to Vanua Levu. Fiji sunset. View from the room, the sea is hot, not warm! Moet for lunch at the poolside bar, lovely food and people. 

Samurai Challenge - April 2017

- Friday, January 05, 2018

The Samurai Challenge classic rally in April 2017 was the first competitive UK-organised rally ever to visit Japan and I was lucky enough to be taking part with my trusty Porsche 912. You can read the story of my Porsche here.


About the Samurai Challenge

In this rally, crews competed in a series of regularity sections and special tests along a spectacular route of 4,660km (2,896 miles) from Fukuoka in the south to Lake Toya in the north, doing an average daily distance of 119 miles. This allowed us to enjoy an amazing variety of natural, man-made and cultural treasures, from primeval landscapes and brooding volcanoes to the brilliant, neon-lit metropolis of Toyko and the island home of the Kodo Drummers.


We arrived in Fukuoka safely, reunited with the wee Porsche, had rally dinner with amazing artisan sweets which we saw being made. Learning to cope with space-age loos with indistinguishable controls! All the spot devices laid out, each car has one so anyone can track a car's progress on the web site

Rally first day

Road works control man, very friendly with perfect English. Hole in the rock with lots of sea birds. Witch's brooms for sale, two people were buying them while we were there. A priest blessing the cars before the start.

Blossom trees

We are getting into the trip now. Lots of lovely blossom trees along the way, surprisingly run down rural countryside, a couple of race tracks which were good fun. Went to a park on a river, met some fake Samurai, had a boat trip and lunch. 

Blossom bridge shrine, with some other photos from the first couple of days of our trip.

Weird looking sign for an animal you're meant to avoid running over. So far we haven't seen one but it looks like a cross between a beaver, a cat and a rat! 

The little Porsche in a typical village.

Some pedestrians admiring all the classic cars driving through the village.

Very elegant shrimp fishing boat with arc lights strung along. You can see them at night miles away using the light to lure shrimp to the surface.

Imperial Shinto Shrine

Huge Izumo-taisha Imperial Shinto shrine where royal weddings take place. It's the largest & most important ancient shrine in Japan, we were very privileged to see it and no photos allowed but modern phone cameras are very sneaky :) 


Now on our first rest day in Kyoto. Went to sit on the floor in a Geisha hosted restaurant last night. It was good fun but hell on my back and knees, was glad to escape at the end! Went for a walk, saw lots of interesting shops and lots more food outlets, one is an open air marshmallow roasting barbecue doing brisk trade. Talked to the community policeman in his little office trying to find a music bar but he was no help so found a small jazz club and spent a nice time in there. First leg of rally is over and results posted, we are third overall behind a Dutch Alvis and friends Phil and Kieron in their Stag. Quite surprising! 


Got to day 10, managed to do a very simple regularity wrong then got stuck behind a little slow truck so have slipped down the field. Got to Koyasan in the mountains, rally staying in several different temples. Ours is very nice, sleeping on the floor, communal bath only but segregated, vegetarian food but did supply beer and Saki. Car now has Japanese bucket with sticker and some little antlers in homage to the many pet deer there are in the parks.

Fuji Speedway

Here we are at Fuji speedway, scene of the 1976 Grand Prix - only much flashier now. Some kind of testing is going on at the moment. The pit complex is way more impressive than it was in our day, twice as wide, with huge garages, but the setting is still the same, it's nice to see it all again. And there's the wee Porsche.

Buddhist priest, note wooden high heel flipflops. Some other random photos.

Here's a video of a dance display we watched:

Cedar bark thatching

Detail of the cedar bark thatching that is used on all posh houses and temples. It's up to 3 ft thick - on big shrines it must take years to do and use millions of bits.

The morning time control with navigators gathered round picking up their amendments and waiting for their start time, cars go at one minute intervals.


Got stopped for speeding on the motorway, all very polite and smiley, the policemen helped us get going again and didn't give us a ticket. Had an exciting day of regularities, one all turned to custard on one as the Stag stopped in the middle of a sharp turn uphill and we lost many minutes getting them out of the way so dropped to 9th overall. 


View from our lovely hotel, should be a view of Mount Fuji but it's obscured, you can just make it out.


We had a day off in Tokyo, had a good day walking in the Imperial Palace Gardens, going to the fish market and then to a couple of big department stores. Tokyo is amazing, shopping, sights, parks, people - all great and some lovely food as well though all very expensive for us. Back to rallying today, visited a lovely art museum. 

The following photos are all from Rally Round, who organised the rally. 

One day we were the classic group winner at Autopolis despite taking the 10 second penalty for allowing co-driver Laurel to sit this one out.....

Courtesy of Rally Round

Group shot, all in kimonos

Courtesy of Rally Round

Messing about in the snow. We are now in the Akita region where a pair of the local dogs met us at our lakeside hotel tonight.

Courtesy of Rally Round

A couple of photos from the samurai dance display we saw - I even got to go on stage with them

Courtesy of Rally Round

Courtesy of Rally Round

A couple of photos from Sado island - which we went to by (a very small) miso barrel boat.

Courtesy of Rally Round

Courtesy of Rally Round

Kodo drummers

Courtesy of Rally Round

The Porsche on Kodo island

Courtesy of Rally Round

Trying on some hats

Courtesy of Rally Round

A look at some of the cars taking part in the rally

Alvis (leading the rally), Jags, Mercedes SLCs, Bentley, Rolls, 1924 Chrysler, 356 Porsche, Triumph Stag.

Lunch time street karaoke in Aomori town

Here's a video of the samurai demonstration we had at dinner. It's pretty fierce!

Sado Island

It was several days before I posted anything again as were were very busy just rallying. Seen lots of lovely things and places, been to Sado Island for two days by ferry but back on the mainland now. The wee Porsche is just fine, had one flat tyre so far, otherwise perfect, only two more rally days to go.

Here are some more random photos, seen so much and taken so many it's hard to choose but I really like all the architectural details everywhere in Japan. 

Still on Sado island, with masked dancers.

Most of the snow had melted but we found this on a mountain top.

The rally is over!

The Rally is over! We had a great trip, saw many sights and sounds, met some lovely people along the way, had great food and the loos are just astonishing. The competitive part of the rally fell apart a bit and was too easy. The little Porsche ran like a clock, one puncture was the sole problem, never laid a spanner on the car. Photo at the finish with lovely koi carp flag, which is coming home! 

Hokkaido ferry

Here we are waiting to board the ferry to Hokkaido, our last island - a 4 hour trip.


Going home

In Tokyo now waiting for the flight, will be good to get back home. Decided to call the rally the 'T' Rally. Traffic lights, lots of them and very slow to change. Tunnels, lots of tunnels everywhere. Tolls, lots of them as well, often the highway is a single lane for many miles but it works. Toilets, they are amazing, always spotless, always mechanised and always available. Tidy, no litter anywhere, no bins either. Tiresome service, restaurants, bars etc all move at a glacial pace. Terribly expensive but good food. 

Rally Round have also produced 2 videos of highlights of the Samurai rally, you can watch them here. You can also read about the rally on their website.

Part 1:

Part 2:

Barbados Historic Rally Carnival - November 2017

- Thursday, December 07, 2017

Greg Cozier started the Barbados Rally Carnival in 2001 for modern rally cars and evolved the event to the Barbados Historic Rally Carnival in 2010. Greg says: "First of all, organisers need to realise they are competing against some great classic historic rallies around the world for occasional competitors, so standards need to be very high. More importantly, we need to understand that competitors and teams aren't doing this for a living; they're doing it for a great rally adventure. This means there needs to be added value in the event. Comfortable and affordable hotels, 'lick-down' welcome parties, informal prizegivings, family involvement and other activities surrounding the event need to enhance the rally itself. Historic rally organisers need to be family-oriented, holiday tour operators.

"The 12-night, two-event format has worked well for us since 2001. The RallySprint at Vaucluse Raceway on the first weekend allows everyone to find their feet in our unfamiliar Caribbean climate, and to test their cars in a stress-free environment. The Raceway also enables competitors, supporters and service crews to intermingle in a social atmosphere, while watching the competition unfold. The week after allows an easy recce and a chance to repair or tune cars for the rally, while enjoying the social side of Barbados. The rally itself runs over an afternoon and then into the night, which is somewhat cooler and more comfortable inside a rally car in the tropics. So historic rallying is for everyone, not just those of us with old cars or old dreams. As the Bajan saying goes; "Only grave-diggers start at the top."

Rally Schedule of Events

• Friday, Oct. 28th (TBC): Deliver cars to Portsmouth, England to be shipped to Barbados.
• Saturday, Nov. 18th: RallySprint, Vaucluse Raceway (optional).
• Wednesday, Nov. 22nd: Scrutiny and welcome party, 5pm, Vaucluse Raceway.
• Thursday, Nov. 23rd: Unlimited recce, three venues, both directions.
• Friday, Nov. 24th: SuperSpecial SS1, 2, 3; Vaucluse Raceway, 5pm.
• Saturday, Nov. 25th: Tarmac Rally, 1pm until midnight.
• Sunday, Nov. 26th: Prize-giving and Jolly Roger Pirate Ship party cruise, noon.
• Monday, Nov. 27th: Pack up cars to ship home.

Late decision

I made a very late decision to send my little Peugeot 205 Rally to do the Barbados event, so with zero preparation I got it out after years of disuse. As it happened, I was going to Birmingham that day so I drove it there and back to see how it fared. It seemed ok so I delivered it to the shippers in Portsmouth the next day. Ruth and the twins came and picked me up and we had a nice day at the historic docks. All good so far, doing a rallysprint event on a race track tonight with paired cars going off on four laps on a figure of eight course together, which is a new experience for me. Then tomorrow we're doing four very rough stages, three times each in the pitch black. Some go through towns so should be lots of very enthusiastic Barbadians about. Weather is hot and sunny and the beautiful sea warm and the locals very nice. 

The Peugeot ready to go to the shippers

Posing in front of an old mill building

Street fruit seller

Arrived and found the little Peugeot 205 safe and sound. Now to recce the route and do some island investigation.  Here's the rally car with support vehicle and old abandoned Lotus Cortina.

Drinks at the beach bar. The weather was good at this point!

View from our hotel

Torrential Rain

Did the Rally over two days, the stage part started on Saturday afternoon and ran through the night in torrential rain, which became almost undriveable! A couple of cars crashed, so play was stopped for an hour then off we went again. 14 stages in the pitch black and pouring rain, all good fun and the little Peugeot did well even when it was close to being swept back by the force of the water!

Start of a stage in the jungle

The Peugeot after the rally - all good and the 25 year old second hand suit still fits me (just!)

More scenes from Barbados

Organiser Greg Crozier and commentator Woody at boozy prizegiving, lots of rum about!

Pan Am Classic Rally - June 2017

- Wednesday, November 15, 2017

From the Atlantic to the Pacific on one of the World’s Great Drives

I set off to San Francisco on the 8th of June to drive my newly acquired, never seen by me, 1962 Tatra 603 across America to Savannah with my friend Hayden helping with driving and hopefully not breakdowns! The Pan Am Classic Rally is mainly a competitive event for cars up to 1978 traversing the Southern United States from Savannah to Durango before heading up the Sierra Nevada’s and Rockies through the old cowboy territory and finishing up on the west coast in Seattle. The whole trip takes more or less a month, I last did it in 2012 and was really looking forward to doing it again, albeit on a different route. Here's the route map.

Here's the car

After a couple of weeks' work by Joe and Hayden's friend Ted, we are finally setting off from San Francisco to Savannah where the Tatra (AKA the Baboon) is to do the Pan Am rally, all the way back to Seattle on July 13th. So we have to travel 2,760 miles just to get to the start! Going to do this very quickly as Hayden needs to get back ??. Hayden and I with the Tatra, my first drive will be to Savannah. 

Hayden getting comfy in the car!

The trip from San Francisco to Savannah was going well.We started out from SF at 22:03 on Friday night. Now we're in Albuquerque at 18:25, 1,084 miles later having crossed Arizona into New Mexico. Average speed 63.5, no problems so far thanks to Joe and Ted, only 1,632 to go and 23 hours before we get to the start.

Aftermath of San Francisco to Savannah drive

We got here! All well went well until Atlanta, 300 miles short of Savannah, when one of the the fan drives in the Tatra flew apart! Came up with a temporary fix and drove slowly to the hotel but made it. 2,721 miles at an average of 65 mph non-stop, you know it makes sense in some way. Hayden and I having lunch today. 

The first day of the PanAm

Set off from Savannah to Spartanburg today. All went well although the motor is not going well. Hopefully it will be fixed tomorrow. We saw alligators, vultures and lots of lovely countryside and met lots of nice Americans. The road book failed to send us the right way as normal several times but we made it in the end and had a good day wrestling with the Tatra.

Spartanburg to Knoxville

2nd day, Spartanburg to Knoxville. Now into the mountains with great twisty roads and lovely scenery. Lots of true Americana, quaint housing, poor people and towns but all cheerful and happy to see us. It is hard for both sides to communicate with the language problem ;) - saw a real living drive-in and lots of self-storage including a log cabin version, pictured below. Sadly the poor Tatra's engine problems came to the fore in the mountains so had to crawl up the hills often in first gear. Anyway the great news it is FIXED !!! So today should be lots better. Two cars have broken rear engines, one poor thing has only 6 cylinders. 

Drive-in breakfast menu followed by the vending machine

Lovely architecture

Hub bearings

We had a busy two days at this point, we had a good time in Nashville but on the way to Memphis where we had a day off, the rear axle noise which we pondered over on the run from California got worse, so sure enough, the right hand rear hub bearings were gone. Big job changing them. Spent our rest day doing this and other bits, including finding and fitting new rear shock absorbers and then on start-up had a new noise! The generator decided to give up the ghost ?? So then there was more frantic work. But we still managed to get to dinner on the banks of the mighty Mississippi and fit in some blues on Beale Street. Busy day off to Fayetteville today.

Across the South

We then had another two days making our way across the South. The Baboon (as the Tatra is nicknamed) still not charging so we are having to run on just the battery, but this is working well so may leave changing the generator until a rest day. It's so hot now, it's very unpleasant working on a hot car. Baboon got new rear shock absorbers in Memphis and is handling a lot better. Had a very rough, fast stage yesterday (fast because we got lost for a while as the road book was wrong again) and the car was great in the gravel, like a Porsche on steroids - just needs another 100HP! Saw some great sights again and can but wonder how run down and poor lots of America is but also hugely commercial with thousands of trucks on the highway and massive trains ?? going by all the time. In Oklahoma City now and is looking very prosperous and massively busy. Off to Amarillo tomorrow on Route 66, the famous coast to coast road. Cars outside the hotel last night in Oklahoma. 

Amarillo to Taos 

Amarillo to Taos - nice drive, change of state to New Mexico. Lovely hotel and really cute town with great bars, shops etc, big hippy vibe. Off to Durango in Colorado today. Nice shot of the Baboon at speed in Tennessee. 

Taos to Durango 

Did the Taos to Durango trip, once again nice roads and great sights. Damaged a rear rim on a big rock, so had to change the wheel on the stage, no easy task with the Tatra so we were out of time by the time I got it done. Good news, we are 5th in the rally but bad news, only 5 cars in it, but still it can't get worse! Had a day off in Durango so changed our generator but no success so still charging the battery to proceed. Then discovered RH rear shock absorber top mount had torn off, so had to find someone to fix it. Found a shop where a young Apache called Swift repaired the mount in minutes. Fantastic job! Apache police car.


It's been a busy few days driving and looking after the Baboon but there have been no big setbacks. We are into the mountains again and about to make the trip to California over the Rockies. Car is going well apart from the charging problem but we're getting by. Has been brutally hot day and night so the inclination to work on the car is very low, it will be good to get to more temperate climes. The scenery is just fantastic with huge views and ever changing geology - it is too much to take in at times. Have our big test now: how to cope with Las Vegas! 

Las Vegas 

Spent a day off in Las Vegas. Horribly hot and horrible place, it is a must to see just to experience it but I loathe it! Thought another visit would change my mind but no, it gets worse. We raced F1 there in the car park of Caesar's Palace many years ago. Went by helicopter to see the Grand Canyon, which was lovely but great to leave. 

Pacific Coast 

We made it! The Tatra has gone coast to coast twice now in a few weeks. Having crossed Death Valley and the mountains, we are now back on the Pacific Coast. Saw millions of almond trees, thousands of oil pumps and our first beehives. Went off route to pay homage to the James Dean crash site and got back on rally route to be fastest on the afternoon test, the Baboon loves the twisty dirt! Cold at last, jumpers on last night, fog this morning. Almond trees and grape vines. 

San Francisco 

Made it back to San Francisco after two trips across the USA. A few more days then Seattle and the end. Met up with cousins Joe and Peggy Odgers in Morro Bay, then had a nice drive through rural California which looks great, golden grass and lovely trees and all so prosperous, big contrast with what we have seen before. Crossed 13 states so far, 2 more to go to get to Seattle. Into San Francisco and a day off and the Fourth of July celebrations. Had a nice night with Tracy and Hayden to celebrate Tracy's birthday and then went looking round SF, took a cab for a tour round the city which was very good, saw lots of bikes from the shoreline, hundreds just cruising past and putting on a show. Sadly the fog spoiled the fireworks so the many thousands who came to the city were disappointed. Off north tomorrow on an easy day, but crossing the Golden Gate Bridge.

SF to Oregon 

Lots of driving, from San Francisco to Yosemite then Lake Tahoe, Eureka, then Rogue River in Oregon. Managed to damage the exhaust when doing some unplanned off-road driving as the road ahead was closed but had to give in and drive through anyway and made it ok. Spent two days with one muffler off the car making lots of noise but fixed now so still just not charging.  Car is running well but we are crossing big passes one after the other so we spend a long time climbing mountains. The scenery is just fantastic and has been ever since we left SF. Lake Tahoe is stunning and we are surrounded by mountains, lakes, rivers. Big Elephant at Blackhawk car museum. 


Drove through miles of beautiful Sequoias. Strange bicycle with high mounted pedals. Californian roadside fruit seller, very nice, spent a while with him sorting out the world. Rural post office in a tiny town in the middle of nowhere. Welcome to Oregon sign. Roadside cannabis shop in Merlin, Oregon, where it is now legal. 

San Francisco to San Francisco 

We made it! SF to Savannah then the Pan Am rally up to the finish in Seattle, then back down to our start place, Tracy and Hayden's Wevo shop in San Carlos. Four weeks of trials and tribulations but also a great challenge to keep the Tatra happy and running and this was achieved. 17,126 Km, 10,641 miles in 4 weeks crossing deserts, climbing to 11,000 ft and crossing mountains in searing heat with no sign of distress or overheating. Our only real problem is that it's not charging, but this will be sorted now we have some time. The car was great fun to drive and you get to meet a lot of people who want to know about the car. Such a clever design and all made to be worked on in a sensible fashion. No rest for the wicked, off to Hollywood for the weekend to see the Eagles ?? and Fleetwood Mac play at Dodger Stadium then back to SF, then back to UK on the 21st. Got to get my hot rod going as well. Very smart rig on HW101.

Hot Rod

Finished the Pan Am in Seattle then drove the Tatra back to San Carlos. Got my Hot Rod out and got it running. Goes really well, went to Alice's Restaurant then to the beach in the fog again. Car is beautifully made. Note Tatra resting in the background. Went to Palo Alto for dinner and saw this crazy ice cream shop which makes fresh ice cream using liquid nitrogen. There's a girl in there operating the machine! 

Hotel car park and the Savannah river

Venice to Monaco Classic Rally - September 2017

- Tuesday, October 31, 2017

This was a lovely 2-week drive through Italy, Croatia, Bosnia & Hercegovina, Montenegro and France, including the islands of Sicily, Sardinia & Corsica. I was going to take the Alfa but wimped out and decided to take my trusty Mercedes 280SL on this trip. The SL has a roof so I thought it might suit the non-summer we were having at the time!

Here we are on the Eurotunnel on the way to Venice for the start of the rally. There were lots of balloons over Metz on the way down there.

Stopped off at the lovely Cafe Flo in Nancy. Over a hundred years old and still stunning and great food as well.

Stayed the night in the Grand on the fantasy Place Stanislaus in Nancy. It was built by a Polish rent-a-King who made Nancy the capital of France for a while!

From there we went up into the mountains, here's the SL on St Gotthard Pass, where we had hot chocolate, goulash soup and some local meats and cheeses.

Then we arrived in Venice, it always looks fantastic. There was a lovely Porsche tractor on the Kempinski front lawn. Here it is plus some other snaps of Venice.

So up to now we were just getting to the starting point. Now it was the first day of the Venice Monaco Rally proper. We bopped through Trieste and Slovenia and then on into Croatia. We 
spent the night in Rovinj, which is a lovely old town with lots of wonderful shops, bars, restaurants and buildings, too much to take in in one night but we tried our best!

This guy was jumping off Mostar bridge for cash - it's a big jump!

Having gone through Slovenie and Croatia, we then arrived in Mostar, Bosnia. We'd had good roads so far, good weather and food so it was all looking good - and the yellow peril Merc was fine! Here's a video of some blowholes in Croatia.

Here we are at the cathedral in Split.

This is a lovely river flowing out of the mountain at Blagaj, Bosnia. It's a national monument.

We saw a big water wheel, sadly it wasn't in service, and this lovely old fortified town.

Singing waiters in a very good restaurant in Dubrovnik, there was a big storm outside while we were there.

We spent an evening in Dubrovnik in a lovely restaurant, the Kopun. Had a bit of a hard day today, with a puncture and blown exhaust but still all good. Off to Albania and Montenegro tomorrow.

We had a very busy few days, through Croatia then Bosnia Mostar bridge, then back to Croatia to see Dubrovnik and then a quick drive through Montenegro and Albania. Now we're on a ferry heading for Bari in Italy. The Yellow Peril is going well apart from a flat tyre and noisy exhaust.

Then we were back to Italy again, all great as normal - roadside prostitution, lovely food, mad traffic and the Trulli houses in the deep South. Here we are in Alberobello, a world heritage site.

Next stop was Sicily, where we stayed in a lovely hotel with a pool then had a great drive across the island to the ferry to Sardinia. We saw the Enna circuit and drove on lots of the Targa Florio track, sadly it is in very bad shape these days. Sardinia! Never been before.

Driving the course at Targa Florio

At the pits on the course

We spent a very nice day and evening in the town of Matera. This is also a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Apparently it was originally a troglodyte settlement and has all these houses built on top of each other carved out of the rock face. Fascinating to see.


Then it was across the ferry to Sicily, had a nice drive to Taormina. The locals are quick to point out that Sicily is in Italy! Even if you do have to take a ferry to get there from the mainland!

Lovely view over Taormina from our hotel.

From Taormina the next stop was Palermo, where we had a drink and bruschetta on the waterfront before boarding the overnight ferry to Sardinia. 

Sardinian cows and calves, they've all got bells on. There's one errant one at the end - there's always one troublemaker!

We had lunch in a lovely restaurant on Sardinia. Now we're about to board a ferry to Corsica which is in the background of the shot.

After Corsica came Nice, we we arrived to beautiful weather and fantastic views on top of the mountain.

On one night we had the glamour of Monte Carlo and the Hermitage hotel, the next we were in a simple pension on top of a Col in the Alps. Both good ?? Also lots of sheep!

New Zealand Haka Rally - Nov/Dec 2016

- Tuesday, February 14, 2017

At the end of October 2016, and having only just finished the Classic Persia rally, I flew over to New Zealand to start the Haka Classic Rally. This was going to be a special trip because my 98-year old mother Dorothy would be navigating for me again. The trip would be a spectacular 26-day, 5,354km competition across the North and South Islands of New Zealand, from Auckland to Christchurch. For this trip I was taking my 1963 Rolls Royce Silver Cloud.

The route

We had a busy few days before the start. I picked up the Rolls, which seemed ok at first, but rapidly went downhill and then stopped dead in the worst place in NZ to choose, the Harbour Bridge at rush hour!!! Very fraught time with police, huge traffic jam etc. Got rescued by old McLaren type John Storr who used to be Bruce McLaren's brother-in-law. He spotted us and very kindly towed us off the bridge to his business, the Bolt Shop, where I was able to eventually get the car going. The ignition had been damaged by the shippers by wrongly jump starting the car. 

New Zealand Herald interview

Meanwhile we had organised a meeting with the NZ Herald for pics etc but they had to come to us in the end. Mum looking and going great, note the matching outfit, now having to wear glasses reluctantly at 98. Better day today, next problem is my Escort which is also in the Rally, but more on this anon. You can read the New Zealand Herald article here.

Mum and I at the start

Towing the Rolls....

First day of the rally

Well, we had a big breakthrough - the Rolls ran all day! Badly, but it did not stop. All went well, a few little glitches with the organisation but nothing serious. Lovely weather and NZ looking great, lots of cows and grass and good roads. 

The Escort

The Escort does exist! Mother thought it was a myth but Tim has arrived from Nelson in it today after an epic drive, the old girl is looking good.


The weather was fantastic, nice roads and a lot of nostalgia for Mother and me. We overnighted in Hamilton, where we lived as teenagers, saw old friends from schooldays and then drove to Matmata through Cambridge and Lemington where we had a small farm and I went to primary school. It's all built over now. We went to the Hobbinton set and had lunch and a tour, mum and I dodged the tour which was a good move. We ended up in Rotorua with all the smells and steam. Pouring down this morning, Mum and I outside a hobbit house.

We had fun visiting and running round the track at Towpaw, now called the Bruce Mclaren Motorsport Park. Went to the buried village and a random shot of an urban Pukeko in downtown Rotorua. 

The next day was a good one, it started out looking miserable but soon perked up and stayed nice all day. We had a good drive and three average speed regularities which we were best at, what a navigator! Here's the Rolls posing with a logging truck.

The two mountains Ruapehu and Ngauruhoe were visible in the morning over the beautiful and huge lake Taupo. 

A scary tunnel on the road, rough and unlit, reminded me of Iran! 

Picture of Mother below getting her time card stamped at the day start in Taupo. 

The sign at the self styled republic of Whangamomona were we had lunch in the very interesting old pub, and picture of the Rolls outside the pub.

Escort outside the pub. Note the old Space Station logo in the window.


Another island

More busy days. More rushing round race tracks and regularities, we spent the night in Palmerston North before heading to Wellington and a day of taking in some culture and Mother getting to see her Grandson James and her great grandchildren. Went to see her old family home in Feilding on the way and visited Te Papa, the fantastic museum in Wellington, visited the Britten motorbike there. On Sunday we took the ferry to the South Island and got served the NZ delight, scones with jam and whipped cream! Rainbow over Wellington Harbour. 

Another photo of Mother, the Guinness World Record holder as oldest active navigator.

And here we are, having a well-deserved rest after a long driving day.

The wild west coast

We arrived at Punakaiki Pancake Rocks after a good day's rallying on dirt roads. We came to the wild West coast, all good. Had a bonfire on the beach, mum good, tucked up in bed now. Here's a short video showing this wild west coast, with some surfers taking their chances.

Another three more days went by and mother was doing marvellously, she is an amazing woman! It was bad weather for two days so we missed seeing Golden Bay etc in the mist and rain but we got to the west coast last evening in sunshine and the ocean and coast is great. We stayed on the ocean last night with huge waves and a  big sunset. The pic is of a cafe sign which needs translation: Sammy is a sandwich and whitebait are tiny fish which they make into an omelette, FOD is fish of the day.

Queenstown to Te Anau

We then had a short day's drive from Queenstown to Te Anau. Once again there was a beautiful lake. Foul weather at times and I managed to make a completely unforced error on the only competition section, so our rally results will suffer. 

Helicopter trip over Fiordland

Luckily, the weather allowed us to take a fantastic helicopter trip round the Sounds, this lasted 3.5 hours. We saw magnificent fiords, mountains and lakes, had a picnic by the plane and landed on a glacier. That's the only bit Mother didn't like much, she covered her head for that, but soon cheered up when we got down again.

Teratonga Race Track

After the excitement of the helicopter trip, we had a busy two days rallying. We went to Teratonga race track for some competition, this is where my brother Bill died racing 50 years ago. We went to see the fastest Indian Burt Munro motorbike in Invercargill and ended up at Gore for the night. The next day we were off to Dunedin, where we had a welcome rest day. Managed to get some work done on the Rolls and had a lovely lunch by the sea with Mother at St Clair beach which is right in the city. 

Radio New Zealand Interview

We did a radio interview with Kathryn Ryan of Radio New Zealand which was broadcast during the rally, on a program called "9 to Noon". Lots of weather of all kinds everything apart from snow. You can listen to the programme here:

Now a couple more videos, wild lupins on the Lewis Pass - it was very windy!

And a video of Mount Cook, with Mum, Hayden, Tracey and the Escort. Sadly it was cloudy so you can't see the top of Mount Cook.

We went on a fixed wing flight into the southern Alps, no trip to Mount Cook possible as there was too much cloud but we got fantastic views of mountains and glaciers, lots of Lord of the Rings stuff!

Special award for Mother

All of a sudden it was the end of the rally and Mother received a special award. She got a very nice speech of thanks and got a standing ovation from the whole rally. On the last evening, Mother made a celebrity appearance at dinner. She normally retires early - as you are entitled to do when you're 98 years old - but this evening, as the rally sat down to dinner, she decided to come and wave goodnight, completing a high-speed lap of the dining room in her wheelchair, with me pushing behind. An inspiration to us all, she received universal applause.

At the finish

We made it to the end, finishing 7th overall! Mother was terrific as always, always alert, always interested and never napping. We set off the next day on another trip back north to catch the ferry and have to go via the west coast as the east side is still closed because of the earthquake and will be for some time. The Rolls was running well so the 224 year old team is doing well. Car 53, me 73, mother 98.

The next day was another big day for Mother, we set off North to get Mother home to Hamilton and Tracy and Hayden back to Auckland in the Escort to fly home and deliver the Escort to its new home in Devonport. Once again we had a great trip, took Arthur's pass over to the west coast, not the most direct road but it's a fantastic drive through huge weather, mountains and views. You have to go via the west as the east coast road is still closed because of the quake damage and will be for some time. Got to Picton after a long but beautiful drive to catch the ferry tomorrow morning. 

Classic Persia Rally - October 2016

- Friday, February 10, 2017

In October 2016 I set off for the Classic Persia Rally, a 6,000 kilometer drive across the once mighty Persian Empire from its westernmost reaches in Istanbul, through the empire’s ancient capital Persepolis and across the Persian Gulf to finish in Dubai. This was a 19 day trip, with average daily driving distances of 500 kilometers. For this trip I took my little 1968 Porsche 912, which is a 150 bhp, 2 litre, 5-speed manual, flat 4 cylinder with air cooled twin Weber carbs. It has a short wheelbase with full cage, stripped for rallying.

The route

In Istanbul, we stayed at a fantastic hotel, the Pera Palace. This is the hotel of the Orient Express, this is Hemingway’s hotel, the place from which all the great travellers set off on the long road east. From there we enjoyed 4 days of great driving and stunning landscapes, passing through Cappadocia and Lake Van, before crossing over into Iran. We then spent a couple of days meandering over the mountains of northern Iran before heading southwest into Iranian Kurdistan which offered great driving. We then maee our way along some great back-roads through the Zagros mountains to Esfahan, arguably one of the greatest Islamic cities in the world.Then on to Shiraz, itself a fascinating place – and then on to the ancient capital of Persia, Persepolis which lies in ruins after it was set alight by the hoards of Alexander the Great in 330BC. The final stretch of the journey took us down to the Persian Gulf and we boarded a ferry for Dubai. After taking in some of the worlds greatest historical cities, Istanbul, Esfahan and the ruins of Persepolis, steeped in mystery and intrigue and full of old-world beauty, it was a big contrast to suddenly find yourself driving in the modern business empire of Dubai. 

Here is the route:

We crossed over to France on the Eurotunnel but then had a bad day 2 - stuck on German autobahns for hours like one huge M25, but we finally made it to Slovenia across Croatia and then Nis in Serbia. We reached the Turkish border and on to Istanbul.  

Istanbul to Ankara

We got into huge traffic in Istanbul on the Sunday night, but got there in time for the welcome dinner. Here's the car dressed up in its rally plates. We crossed from the west to the east across the magnificent bridge over the teeming Bosporus - my old New Zealand mechanic, Tim, was on the rally as support, that's him changing a plug on the Porsche. Went over some good roads to Ankara - and the adventure had started!


The next stopping point was Cappadocia, we saw some fantastic sights and stayed in a lovely hotel there. Cappadocia is world heritage site and is a semi-arid region in central Turkey, known for its distinctive “fairy chimneys,” tall, cone-shaped rock formations clustered in Monks Valley, Göreme and elsewhere. Other notables sites include Bronze Age homes carved into valley walls by troglodytes (cave dwellers) and later used as refuges by early Christians. The 100m-deep Ihlara Canyon houses numerous rock-face churches. We had two punctures and a new tyre, but otherwise the car was running well and the weather was perfect.

Here are some photos of the spectacular Cappadocia sights.

Mount Nemrut

The next three days were very busy. Had a great trip up Mount Nemrut to wonderful statues, erected around what is assumed to be a royal tomb from the 1st century BC. The actual mountain is made of small stones stacked by the billion. On the way to the Iranian border we were sent back as there was an incident (!) going on on the road, so we did a big loop on a hard-to-find, almost impassable road but the little Porsche was magnificent again. We made it across into Iran without incident to Tabriz, went to the market and then had an easy drive to the shores of the Caspian Sea. We then set off over the mountains again for another very full day's driving.


We arrived at Tabriz and had a nice quiet day. Went to the historic bazaar in the morning, this is a lovely old building, with nobody hassling us to buy, which is a nice change. There must be tourist police enforcing this but we saw no sign of it. The next stage was a drive to Astara on the shores of the Caspian Sea, passing very close to the Azerbaijan border. We had no problems but could see the watchtowers and lots of barbed wire. The hotel was close to where we stayed on the Peking Paris rally where I and my friend Hayden spent the night changing the headgasket on my Alfa 6C in horizontal driving rain. It worked and the car finished well.

The bazaar at Tabriz

Leaving Tabriz, the next stage was driving to the Caspian Sea. Here's a photo of the Porsche, posing by the Caspian Sea, just to prove we'd been there! 

Astara to Zanjan

We then took a different and longer route to take in the famous lovely old village of Masouleh, spent some time there then took a very rough mountain dirt road up to join the rally route proper. Good fun and gave the new navigator a taste of fast dirt road driving. Sadly we lost one car permanently when the steering broke on the Bentley, they are continuing in a hire car. The pre-war Lagonda has broken two rockers in the engine and was driving on 5 cylinders but they've now put it on a truck to Isfahan where parts are being carried and we have 3 nights so hopefully it will be up and running again. 

Traditional dress and the old village of Masouleh.

Zanjan to Sanandaj

A quiet day on good roads across Kurdish Iran so we decided to go off piste on more interesting roads for a while. We investigated a mud village and when we had to turn round in a farmyard the family all came out and insisted that we park and come in. They were very friendly and loved having visitors, gave us tea and tried to get us to stay for lunch but we managed to compromise on fruit. They were delighted and so were we! The red fountain is signifying the blood of the 3rd Iman who was assassinated in 680-ish. There are huge processions going on over two days which we have have got involved in as they block the roads. These involve lots of men chanting and marching to huge drums and stylised ritual self-flagellation with sometimes the women trailing along behind.

The mud village.

Invited into the home of a local family to have tea and fruit. Those are my feet!

The red fountain.

All the men wear these baggy trousers, so I thought I'd try a pair for myself!

Some of the processions we encountered along the way.


We spent two days in Isfahan, Iran, looking at fantastic architecture, lovely gardens and meeting and talking to the locals. They were all delighted to see us and the cars, a very nice experience. Following our 2 day rest, we drove 600k over the mountains on dirt roads to Shiraz. The little Porsche ran well after a bit of attention in Isfahan. Some dirt roads but mostly fast Tarmac, we went to see a lovely waterfall on the way. Once again, everyone was delighted to see us. Here's a weird and wonderful tunnel we drove through en route.


The central mosque in Isfahan

The waterfall

Lots of beehives, they put masses in the same place rather than spread out, it must work. 

The market at Shiraz

Pasargadae and Persepolis

By this point we were nearly at the end of the rally, just one more day's driving to the sea to put the cars on a ferry to Dubai and take a flight there ourselves. Had a small drama today as the only Americans on the trip decided on their own initiative to change their hotel to another. This caused them to get into trouble with the Iranians who were not impressed, they are back in the rally hotel and our local guide is in hot water over this. We spent the day taking in some Persian culture visiting two sites outside the city, Pasargadae and Persepolis. Persepolis, though now just a ruin after being razed by Alexander in 300 BC, is still a magnificent sight and would have been wondrous in its day when it was the centre of power of the huge Persian Empire. The site is enormous and the scale of the buildings mind boggling.


Shiraz to Bandar Abbas

This was our last day of driving on the rally. 650km on good roads, fantastic mountains and terrain all day, it is easy to get blasé about all this beauty but today was stunning for hour upon hour. We got pulled over by the cops but all in good humour and we got let off with a lecture on speeding in Farsi! We aw these strange pointed buildings on the roadside and worked out they are wells for travellers and especially for drovers with their animals. The two we looked at had what looked like clean water in them. Saw a "look out for camels" sign and sure enough there were some. 

Pointed buildings by the roadside

The Porsche posing by the Persian Gulf, just to show we made it. Great trip, lovely scenery and people and the Porsche was great as well. Off to Dubai tomorrow by plane then back to UK Saturday. 

The next trip

The next trip is the New Zealand Haka Rally in November - 30 days round both islands with my 98 year old Mother as navigator again, she is in the Guinness Book of Records as the world's oldest active rally navigator now. 

Recent Posts